When I say the wildest, that means more thrilling, adventurous, and heart-pumping. Yes, none of all I am straight away talking about the Chadar Trek which will give you freezing goosebumps just by its thought.
As an explorer or a travel junkie I always surprise myself with some new adventures like trekking, sports, traveling, etc. but this time all I left behind and thought of Chadar trek, the wildest of all adventures. I have planned for this since long and finally decided to embark on this adventure in 2019. As we all know, Chadar Trek happens only once a year in the months of mid-Jan to mid-Feb.
Here, I am sharing some important points to remember that will help you for your next Chadar Trek 2020.
A walk on the frozen Zanskar river will give you a lifetime experience. Isn’t amazing to know that a thick ice-clogged sheet will make you walk over it with your body weight and other things. It is but very obvious that the sheet is so thick and strong. Chadar trek will give you an experience that you can’t even imagine. The difficulty level and thrill-o-meter will go up and down. It is not a trek, it’s a lifetime experience. One needs to be well prepared for this trek.
Best Time To Do!!
There is only one time which is best and perfect is from January and February when the river gets frozen. Book your slot prior as lots of crowd come this time of the year. Chadar is a long trek of 9-10days and one has to cover 10-16km per day.
Tips and Suggestions:
- It is highly advisable people who are suffering from any health problem are not allowed to do this trek.
- Build your strength and stamina. Start exercising and yoga at least one month before.
- Mental fitness is equally important and one should be motivated and confident
- Eat healthily and keep Chadar on your mind!! Lol!
- Your trek itinerary will include the acclimatization process. Chadar trek is not like other treks, you have to stay in the climate or weather of north India at least for 3 days.
Things To Carry:
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Sheet
- Trekking Pants
- Fleece top
- Warm Hat
- Toilet paper
- Three liters of water bottle
- Lip care
- Water purification tablets
- Down booties
- Camp shoes
- Shell jacket
- Shell pants
- Thermal top and bottom
- Daywear shirt 2 or 3
- Sun hat
- Small towel
- Personal medicines
- Money pouch
- Energy bars
- Vitamin tablets
- Waterproof gloves
- Trekking rods
- Exothermic pouches
How to reach Chadar trek?
The starting point is Leh. The only way to reach Leh in winters is by flight from major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, etc.
The journey starts from Leh by a drive to Tilat Sumdo basecamp. By catching the views of the Zanskar River, reach the campsite. A short and dangerous trek of 2 hours will take to the campsite of Tilat Sumdo after the bus ride.
Then the trek begins and passed by tiny hamlets and campsites. Camping in the caves is an extraordinary experience. Trek organizers were taking care of food and camping. With the most alluring nights, in the middle of nowhere, dining and chit chat with other trek members was an unforgettable experience.
The Amazing views
Chadar trek offers magical views of the Himalayas. The frozen waterfalls, glacier basins, snow-covered trees and forests, different rocky formations, colorful flags, narrow paths, tricky trails, and walk on the Zanskar in the drops down the temperature of -30 degree will leave you breathless.
Do & Don’ts for Chadar Trek:
- Take adequate breaks and keep yourself hydrated.
- Follow the locals because they know the best of the trek.
- Several times you will fall on the ice. Don’t lose hope, get up and walk again.
- Carry eatables and water.
- Keep a first aid kit with you always. It is very common to have cuts and bruises on the trek.
- Be confident and motivated.
- Do not skip your meals during the trek.
- Do not underestimate the weather conditions.
- Do not ignore the instructions of the trek leader.
- Do not litter, keep the surroundings clean.
- Do not panic or take stress. Take a break and start over.
- Do not harm animals on the trek.
- Do not wander alone. Always stay with the group.
Chadar trek was a great experience and soon it is happening again next year! Plan your trip with a good tour operator like I did by choosing Banbanjara. Tour operators will make this difficulty trek a bit easy by arranging all the things. I had a lot of thrill and wonderful experiences on my Chadar trip. The beauty of Chadar is incredible. Apart from the thrill, there is something unique about Chadar trek. I hope this trek is on your bucket list. If you love trekking then do this trek ASAP.
Live. Travel. Explore!!